Tools for Neighbors

94-133-3 Pleasant Court b pre.JPG


  • A neighbor or neighborhood stakeholder interested in applying for a State lot should first contact Revitalize Mississippi (Jim Johnston / phone 601 506-9702 / email address: )

  • Then fill out an application online at the Secretary of State website’s on this page. [If you have trouble with the online application, contact or meet with Tyrone Hickman: 601 359-6381 / 125 S. Congress Street.] Print the application on the page linked above and follow those instructions with the application. In the last box on the application, enter good reasons why you, as a neighbor or person trying to improve the neighborhood, want to buy the lot. Type in the box that you are working with Revitalize Mississippi.) For a vacant lot or a lot with house that needs to be demolished (and will be “vacant” when you get it), enter $100 as your bid. Tyrone may later counter with a higher price, but after Revitalize Mississippi donates free cleanup (and demolition if needed), the price will be reduced to the $120. Same goes for a parcel with a house that can be rehabbed (place a bid of $500, and final price will be $520). [Note - for a house to rehab, check with the City to make sure it is not condemned and on the list for demolition.] Before finishing the application, submit payment for the $2.50 application fee. (You will not pay for the parcel until later - - after Revitalize Mississippi has finished its work.)

  • Revitalize Mississippi, a Mississippi (501c3) non-profit corporation, will provide one free clean-up (and demolition, if needed) but it must be done prior to transfer of title to the new owner. As soon as you have completed the online application and paid the application fee, call Jim Johnston and say whether you just want the parcel cleaned up, or if you also want demolition done. He will put you on the work list, and make sure you are first in line for the parcel. After the work is finished, Revitalize Mississippi will send “before” and “after” photos of the lot to Tyrone Hickman to show the work that was done. Tyrone will then reduce the purchase price to reflect donation of cleanup services and your neighborhood status. Applicant should start maintaining the property as soon as payment is made to Secretary of State. Later, you will receive the title (a “Land Patent”), and will be responsible for paying property taxes as well as maintaining the property.


  • Effective code enforcement is required. Call 311 to report the code violation, or talk with the code officer for your neighborhood.

  • Neighbors need to work closely with a code officer, who can attend neighborhood meetings and give updates. Neighborhoods should keep a list of parcels with code violations and a map.

  • Ask to be notified of court dates and attend.

  • For a repeat code violator, a criminal proceeding is an option (with stiff fines and possible jail time). In addition, for a dilapidated house used for drug activity or constituting public hazard or nuisance, the City can seize and demolish.

  • Create neighborhood support for a homeowner who is elderly, disabled or ill, if she or he needs help keeping up the yard.

  • New owners have 60 days to clean up their blighted property before they are eligible for fines as a result of lack of maintenance.

Gather information about your neighborhood

  • Neighbors can use this link to our Jackson Parcel Map to identify the owner of lots in the neighborhood and to print maps. 

The lots are color-coded as follows: 

  • Red = State lots

  • Green = city lots

  • Blue = homeowners

  • White = non-resident property owners

Click on a parcel to see details

Address Crime

  • Call (601) 355-TIPS (8477) to use the Jackson Police Department’s anonymous tip line. You can call or text to report suspicious or criminal activity to the police department)

  • Work with your neighborhood association and neighbors to form a Neighborhood Watch program. Contact your JPD precinct commander to get information on how to do this.

Help your neighborhood become more active and organized

  • Work with your neighbors to form a strong neighborhood association to help fight the spread of blight and to improve the opportunities in your community.

  • Work with nearby neighborhood associations, and neighborhoods around the City to speak with one voice to your elected officials.

  • Work with Jackson Association of Neighborhoods (JAN), Keep Jackson Beautiful, Mississippi Urban Forest Council and other organizations to: 1) add beautification measures; 2) organize neighborhood cleanups; and 3) address littering.

  • Engage with local schools and Parent Teacher Associations to demand the best for neighborhood youth.

  • Ask the churches located in your neighborhood to attend your neighborhood association meetings and ask them to get involved as a neighborhood stakeholder.

  • Develop strong plans and get sponsors for your neighborhood activities. Apply for grants. Go online and try “crowd sourcing”.